[cvsnt] sspi and Impersonation

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Feb 4 15:25:47 GMT 2003

Trond Kvarenes wrote:

> Can I use impersonation with sspi. I try to add a user in the passwd file,
> but I still have to use the NT-password to get authenticated by the
> cvs-server no matter if the Impersonation is enbaled or not or if the
> SystemAuth=yes or no.
> What I really want to do is to lock a branch....

That's not what impersonation is for.  Impersonation is an OS thing which
allows the server to drop privileges before executing any filesystem
operations.

You must have a real user on the system with all protocols except pserver
(and even with pserver you must alias to one).  pserver is a bit of an
abberation in that it allows fake users... it also is very insecure in part
because of this (secure user authentication is hard, and pserver doesn't do
it correctly).