[cvsnt] Re: CVS diff behaves strangely? Merge not fluent?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Feb 6 10:57:58 GMT 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:19:25 +0100, "Koen" <no at ssppaamm.com> wrote:

>Why is it that the "There is no crucial stuff in here." line is seen as a
>difference?! I would expect this diff to show:

Context.  Often the diff engine will pull in lines before/after the
actual change so it's obvious what's changed.  This is really useful
somethimes when you're trying to merge a large source file.  The
advantages aren't as obvious when you're using small files as
examples.

>The problem is that if you want to use a tool like conflicteditor to easily
>merge the differences, it doesn't work, because it uses the diffs generated

Bug in conflicteditor I guess.  The diff is the standard diff code
used in all GNU tools for about the last 10 years.