[cvsnt]

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Feb 11 10:03:08 GMT 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:06:22 +0100, "Trond Kvarenes"
<trond at logit-systems.com> wrote:

>What does the HEAD verision mean? From what I can see, I get the latest
>version on the "customer1" branch if there is a version on the "maint_1"
>branch, but if there isn't, I get the 1.1 version. I thought I would get the
>latest version checked in or something like that. I can't realy see the
>point in getting latest version to leveles up.
>How is the proper way to deal with branching like this? Should I update the
>module to see the "maint_1" branch, and then only update the files I'm
>working on to see the "bugfix" branch? I find this a bit strange. I would
>realy like to update the whole module to the "bugfix" branch, and than see
>the latest checked in version or something, on the files that don't have the
>"bugfix" branch.

Normally you don't mix branches.  'maint_1' is not 'bugfix' they are
separate, so the files in each are separate, too. 'bugfix' should
contain all the files it needs to compile that particular branch -
there is no concept of 'latest version checked in' that makes any
sense - different branches may be completely different filesets and
you there's no sane way for cvs to know that you want to make a file
from one branch appear in another without adding that file to the
branch, which you should have done anyway to create 'bugfix' (by
branching from the root of the source tree, usually).

The '-f' option is so that you can take files from the trunk and put
them onto branches after the creation of the branch.  Not sure how
useful that is, myself (never used it).