[cvsnt] Re: Q to CVSNT committers: CVSNT maintenance - how does it happen?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Feb 13 20:52:36 GMT 2003

Kevin McGuire wrote:

> Q: If a bug is fixed in the Linux version, how and when does it get
> migrated to CVSNT?

If someone reports it here, or it's major (such as the double-free bug
a few weeks ago) then it's fixed as soon as I hear about it (there are
communication channels between the Unix and cvsnt teams for security
issues).

> Q: Similary, if a new CVS Linux version is released, how does this migrate
> to a CVSNT version?

They don't really correlate...  it hasn't mattered because the Unix
development cycle is slower (they favour stability over features, whereas I
try to balance the two).  If there's a feature that someone wants they'll
usually ask about it on the list & it'll get implemented if it looks good
or is needed for a specific reason (if one of the WinCVS or TortoiseCVS
developers request something it'll generally get in faster as they're in my
'supported' list.  There's no reason that Eclipse couldn't be done on that
basis, too).

> Q: Aside from NT specific areas, do fixes in CVSNT find their way back to
> Linux, and how/when?  Or, is there a common code base that always moves
> forward on Linux and then is migrated?

There's no reason why the Unix CVS developers can't use CVSNT code, but
there hasn't been much the other way yet.  AFAIK some of the Unix cvs
developers do read this list so they are presumably aware of what's being
developed, etc.

> Q:  How many active committers are there on CVSNT and how often do they
> work
> on it?  I am trying to understand the size of the push behind CVSNT
> maintenance and the frequency.

It tends to be just me, with people reporting bugs & sending patches that I
integrate.  The load is quite low, since in reality not so much changes...
it looks like a lot sometimes but most of the features that have been added
recently have been less than a days' work.

At the moment I'm on a stability push, since I did some much needed
restructuring of the RCS code but it made some of it a bit fragile.  Build
72 seems to have reached a level of stability I'm happy with, so I can slow
down for a bit and maybe think about what features there are still on my
'todo' list.

> Q:  What problems do you see with the maintenance process?  For example,
> do you find it works well, or do you need more active committers, or
> committers who can spend more time on CVSNT?

There is a test script that runs on both NT and Linux, but it's not complete
enough yet... I add to it whenever a problem occurs so I'll catch it next
time.  Hopefully it'll get to the point that I can say each release is
solid based on the test results.

Mostly I just need feedback... especially from people willing to try the
'experimental' features such as atomic commits.   There are some other
projects that could probably do with external input (such as distributed
repositories).  In an ideal world the server could be progressively
rewritten but I've tried that a few times and there really isn't the time
to do it and maintain the release at the same time.

> Q:  Are there people who work on both CVSNT and CVS linux mainteance?

There is communication both ways but basically they're separate.

> Q:  It seems that the appearance of CVSNT versions is somewhat
> uncorrelated
> with Linux versions.  For example, there may be nothing for CVSNT for
> awhile, then several versions (usually minor 'letter' version upgrades).
> Is
> this accurate, and if so how does this come about?  For example, is it
> because a committer will book off some time and work a lot on CVSNT, then
> can't for awhile due to requirements of their "day job"?

The 'letter' upgrades were what happened after I branched a development
release and forgot to leave a gap in the numbering system for the releases
to continue.  We're back to numbers now.

Ideally the release cycle would be every couple of weeks but it isn't
planned as such, it just happens when there's something that is stable
enough to release.

Because of the rapid releases I generally don't mind if people are using
'old' releases... I recommend that people use the one that works for them
and only upgrade if they have problems.

Any changes to the cvsnt output are usually 'consistent' as I try to keep
the output parseable - for example the extra fields in 'log' are just
appended to a semicolon-separated list that is already there, and the extra
lines in 'status' are in the identical format to other lines.  I try not to
break things, but relying on the output remaining static is probably a bad
idea.  If you see an incompatible change in the future I'm always open to
negotiation if changing it slightly will make things easier to parse.