[cvsnt] Re: recovery from misfired commit

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Feb 14 10:21:18 GMT 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:24:36 -0700, Anna Seg <segfault at noao.edu>
wrote:

>Problem #1:  It left the lock files in the repository which denied
>access to the directory via the client.

When the client died the server should have removed the locks
automatically.   That kind of thing happens occasionally here and
there's never been a problem with it.

What's your CVSROOT?  You're not using local mode I assume???

>My solution:  Deleted the lock files on the cvsnt server machine.
>
>Problem #2:  After the lock files were deleted, I tried to commit the
>file again, and it *still* hung (I think the repository was confused).

Define 'hung'.  The worst that you should ever need to do is delete
the lock files (and if you're using the lockserver, even that becomes
unnecessary).  very occasionally a server process will get stuck and
need to be killed (by bringing up a system-priviliged task manager or
using a 'kill' tool) but that's thankfully rare these days.

>My solution:  Deleted the file.ext,v in the repository, then used the
>wincvs client to re-add, then commit.  This seemed to work.

That's a bit drastic, and is never necessary...   you lose all your
history that way, not to mention confusing the clients.