[cvsnt] Help out a new user

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Feb 19 22:59:23 GMT 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:33:19 -0500 (EST), Martin Pancirov
<pancim at yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to prototype a CVSNT server. I have set it
>up according to the instructions from
>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html#InstallSteps
>except, rather than using /test I used /ottawa

That would work just as well. /Tset was only there as demonstartion
anyway.

>As an aside I would like to use WinCVS as a front-end.
>My network enviorment is All 2000 servers running in
>an Active Directory enviorment. Users have a mix of
>2000/XP workstations.
>
>1) How do are users supposed to attach to the CVSNT
>server? Do I have to share out the c:\cvsrepo
>directory, and have the users map a drive to it?

NO, NO, NO!!! Don't ever share out the repository. I think I wrote
that in the step-by-step guide. It is a road towards disaster!

>Can you recommend a proper implementation?

>From the client computer just point the client to the server PC. From
the command prompt like this (provided you have set path to point at
the dire where you keep the client's cvs.exe):
set CVSROOT=:sspi:cvsservername:/ottawa
then issue a cvs command like
cvs ls
and you will see the repository modules listed (in this case probably
only CVSROOT).

>2) Where and how do I secure the c:\cvsrepo directory
>so that only SYSTEM Domain Admins and a group that I
>created called CVS users have rights to check
>out,create, and commit files/folders? Can this be done
>on a folder level or does the security have to be
>implemented through CVSNT?

Use the NTFS file system permissions.

>My only wish is to implement standardized servers in
>multiple sites so that cvs users can use and
>administer CVSNT/WinCVS however they see fit.

CVSNT is the server
WinCvs is the client
Why do you need multiple servers?

>Please excuse my ignorance as I am very new when it
>comes to working with CVS. I would welcome any help
>that you can provide.

There si a link on my guide page pointing to Karl Fogel's book.
Read that.