[cvsnt] binary file question

Mike Stewart mstewart at mail.lifelearn.com
Thu Feb 20 22:39:39 GMT 2003

I am happily running cvsnt (1.11.1.3  (Build 57a) ) on Win2K

The text file functions have been great and it has already saved my butt a
bunch of times.

I tried to retrieve previous revision of a binary file and it comes back as
garbage.  The byte count is bigger by 382 bytes.  It's a jpg file and every
submission has the -kb option on it (wincvs thinks it's binary as it was
told).

I checked this on all my binary files (.doc, .gif, .jpg, etc.) and they are
all munched (I didn't check if the byte difference was consistent I suspect
not from a brief look).

How do I keep useful previous revisions of binary files using CVS or do I?

I've read about locking and unlocking binaries but the documentation isn't
clear and I don't understand why/how the file locking thing works.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mike stewart