[cvsnt] binary file question

Bruce Hill bhill at euphonix.com
Fri Feb 21 18:33:26 GMT 2003

> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:03:04 +0100, Alberto Barbati
> <abarbati at ubisoft.it> wrote:
>

> >Anyway, I checked Bo comment about this and indeed it looks like a WinCvs
> >bug. In fact, if I issue "cvs update -p" from within the WinCvs graph
> >window, I get the garbled file, but if I issue the same command from the
> >command line I get a the correct file with just a CRLF appended at the end.
> >I guess the trailing CRLF it's not avoidable, is it?
> >
> Normally you should get something like the correct file...  there is a
> workaround for the CRLF but it doesn't work in all cases, due to the
> mechanism used to transmit the file when -p is used.
>
> Tony

I've run into this problem too.  WinCVS produces a particularly garbled file,
but the trailing CRLF can also be a problem.
Has there been any discussion of a -o option to allow specifying the output
filename?   The only reason -p is used in these situations is that there is
no other way to create an older version of a file under a new filename
without stepping on the current file.

- Bruce Hill