[cvsnt] Checkout Error using NT and a network drive as localfolder

Torsten van Beeck torsten.van.beeck at ip-team.de
Thu Feb 27 14:24:24 GMT 2003

Hello!

>> While sandboxes on network drives is not supported, could you tell me
>> how to solve the following scenario differently:
>> I have
>> - a webserver (Microsoft),
>> - a server for the repository (Linux),
>> - multiple PCs running different Windows versions for website (php)
>>   development .
>> CVS-modules get checked out onto a windows share of the webserver.
>> This allows a fast preview of changes: save the file and press
>> reload in the browser.

> Put a cvs client on the webserver then have a script that does the
> update. You should be able to arrange it so that the linux server is
> able to fire the script on the windows server -
> OTOH you might get away with it if you're not modifying the checked
> out websites...  you can just have the linux server checkout the
> websites on postcommit (using a samba share to the windows box).
> Tony

Tony, your suggestion has one big disadvantage: You must commit your
changes first and after that you can see the results. This is opposite
to normal - say java - development with cvs, where you do the compile
(and the code test) local and you commit only working stuff.

We have a similar web development scenario and the difference to normal
development is that it is much easier to install a compiler on each
developers box than a complete webserver. Webserver installations tend
to be done centrally.

So what can we do? I do not want to start this "sandboxes on network
drives is not supported" discussion, but are there other reasons apart
from locking issues and is locking on wk2 server shares a so big
problem?

Bye, Torsten

--
o __    innovativ partner