[cvsnt] Moving directory within repository

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Feb 27 23:42:28 GMT 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:54:55 -0500, "Dwayne Miller"
<dmiller at espgroup.net> wrote:

>Is it easy to move a folder within a repository without losing all of
>the history of a file?
>
>I have a subdirectory full of files that I would like to move up one
>level.  Can I move the files within the CVS repository and then check
>the files out again from the new location without screwing things up?
>
>Tks,
>Dwayne

Well, you are going to be able to do this in the sense that all of the
revisions and tags etc are stored inside the RCS files in the
repository. So they will go along with the move. But you will destroy
any similarity to past history at tag points if you do it.
If you don't care about that and only want the individual files with
their revisions then, yes you can do it. I have personally done
similar moves myself when I found that the original structure was not
so good after all...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)