[cvsnt] Re: How to edit administrativ files?

Marcus Fuchs Marcus_news at web.de
Sun Jan 5 13:18:16 GMT 2003

Bo Berglund wrote:

>> I've installed CVSNT with the help of Bo's Installation Tips. But now I
>> want to modify the passwd, admin and config. Therefore I've done the
>> following steps:
>>
>> set cvsroot=:sspi:fuchs:/testrep
>> cd sandbox
>> cvs co cvsroot
>
> This should have been:
> cvs co CVSROOT
> Note the case, CVS is case sensitive and it shows especially for the
> administrative files.

I thought only on UNIX. But, ok I'll take care of it.

>> edit config
>> cvs add passwd
>
> Aha! You have created passwd new!
>
>> cvs add admin
  >
 > Same here! Not good!
 >
>> cvs ci
>>
>> To passwd and admin I've only added "Administrator", to limit the
>> CVS-access to the given Account and also to give it administrativ right
>> to the CVS-server.
>>
>> In config I've set SystemAuth=no so that CVS will use the above changes.
>>
>> After doing the above steps I can't get access to the server, auth as
>> Administrator (and of course with no other account).
>>
>> To solve this problem I've directly watched into the repository and
>> noticed that passwd and admin weren't added but passwd,v and admin,v.
>>
>> And now my question: Do I have to modify thies files on the server,
>> just
>> without the use of CVS? Or, what do I have to do? Did I missed
>> something?
>
> Yes, the admin and passwd files are *NOT* part of the files that are
> checked out and committed back and then rebuilt on the server.
> For security reasons they *must* be manipulated directly on the server
> itself.
> For the admin file you must manage it directly on the server.
> But the passwd file is managed via the cvs passwd command from a
> client.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. One must manage the admin on the
server. passwd is handled by command, that's clear.
But what about the config? Is it Ok do handle it over cvs, or should it
be manipulated directly on the server?

> If you are a CVS admin then you can use cvs passwd to add/remove users
> and moduífy their passwords. There is a passage in my install
> instructions covering this.

Thanks for your help. And sorry don't know where to shorten this msg.

MF - Marcus

--
Have you read the last posts?
Have you searched in one of the newsgroups-archives?