[cvsnt] Re: PreservePermissions=yes/no vs cvs edit / files not read-only

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat Jan 11 23:56:10 GMT 2003

Thierry Moreau wrote:

> I tried to set up PreservePermissions=no, then PreservePermissions=yes
> in the administrative file CVSROOT/config (with a cvs commit which
> reported "cvs commit: Rebuilding administrative file database"). I
> looked at the file CVSROOT/.#config which seems to ignore or reverse the
> setting (!).

cvsnt doesn't have such a setting - it's largely irrelevant anyway cvsnt
doesn't implement 90% of the PreservePermissions code, only the potentially
useful stuff...  The reason you switched it off under Unix was because of
the non-useful parts (storing usernames, device inodes, hard links, etc.)
which had a habit of breaking things - causing segfaults, etc. so it was
recommended disabled for a long time.  I've stripped it down to what is
obviously 'correct' and platform independent.

> Now my cvs repository has some files with permissions 666; and others
> not (from older RCS data files).

That doesn't matter - 666 is assumed anyway if there's nothing there (that
was always true).  The permissions line is a 'standard' line in cvs that
was switched off in cvsnt before.

> (B) Support status of cvs watch on/off and cvs edit/unedit in cvsnt
> (this is the main issue, a well documented feature of CVS for which many
> cvsnt users experience problems)

It works fine.  watch on/off and edit/unedit do exactly what they say on the
tin.  The read only flag was always a side effect anyway - nobody should be
relying on it.  Under Unix cvs if you enable PreservePermissions you won't
get the read only setting either, so there's no change (I believe several
Linux distributions come with it enabled by default).

I've actually changed this behaviour in the nightlies (only the execute bit
gets propogated), so it isn't an issue anyway (except it no longer works
like the old cvs, which I'll probably get complaints about).