[cvsnt] Re: Getting Started

Marc Chamberlin marcc at easystreet.com
Wed Jan 15 07:19:38 GMT 2003

Thanks Tony for your help! With it I have been able to get further along but
have ran into a new snag....Please forgive me if my questions are stemming
from a lack of understanding of basic Windows technologies, but this is new
grounds for me...

I am setting up the cvsnt server on a Windows 2000 Pro desktop and for
testing purposes I am setting up a WinCVS client on a laptop running Win XP
Pro. Both computers are on the same LAN and are in the same Workgroup. (We
are not using a Microsoft NT domain name server, so domains are not
applicable) For the repository on the desktop, I partitioned a disk drive
and set it up for NTFS. At the top level I created two folder - cvsrepo and
cvstemp, then created and initialized a repository called Java in cvsrepo.

I then managed to install WinCVS on my laptop, and got it working initially
using the pserver protocol to connect to the cvsnt server. I then changed
over to the SSPI protocol and after a LOT of headscratching managed to get
things initially working OK with it as well. But my question is this- In
order for WinCVS to work from my laptop, I had to add the group "Everyone"
for all the files and folders in the repository. (I grant all file
permissions for this group as well) No other user or groups seem to work...
I tried to create a "cvsusers" group and added my login user name to it, on
the desktop. I then added the "cvsusers"  group to all the repository files
(again with all file permissions granted), and remove the "Everyone" group .
But then WinCVS fails on every command it sends in. For example -

cvs ls -l -R
cvs [ls aborted]: unrecognized auth response from cvs.mydomain.com: cvs
server: E cannot open J:/cvsrepo/Java/CVSROOT/config: Permission denied
***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****

I use the same login name on both my laptop and the desktop. And like I
mentioned if I add the "Everyone" group back for all the file and folder
permissions in the repository, everything works fine.. But that seems, to
me,  to be to insecure. So can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or not
understanding?

BTW.. cvs.mydomain.com is defined in the Hosts file on my laptop (and on our
internet DNS server) so I don't believe that is the source of our problem...

Thanks again for any help offered!   Marc...

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:avvcqb$kgc$1 at sisko.nodomain.org...
> Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>
>  server from the internet, and to delete the pserver_protocol.dll  file.
My