[cvsnt] How to use cvs via FTP or SSH

Nicholas Mongeau JunkLaz at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 16:02:06 GMT 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:12:18 +0000, Lampos Ferekidis
> <l.ferekidis at nxtsound.com> wrote:
>

>>This question has probably been asked already a few times.
>>I've got an ISP who offers me ftp as well as ssh access to my
>>server-directories. Since I understand that CVS does not support FTP as
>>a valid protocol I would like to know if it is possible to run CVS
>>checkin and checkout commands via SSH in a client-only mode (in other
>>words, no cvs-server is running on the server) ?
>>

> Meaning you can't run even 'cvs server' on the remote end?  No.
>
> Tony

Are you sure about that? I know you don't need to do much on the server
side to run cvs via ssh, and it might very well be possible to do it
via ftp and ssh only.

A good guide to setup a simple cvs via ssh is at:
http://www.jfipa.org/publications/CVSGuide/

The only thing that you will have to change from the guide is the
'cvs init' part that can't be done locally, but I suspect you can do
it remotely via ssh anyway from the client, by using the correct
CVSROOT. (something like :ext:name at server.com:/full/path/to/cvsroot
with CVS_RSH=ssh, or :ssh:name at server.com:/full/path/to/cvsroot).

If there is a reason why this is not possible, please be so nice as to
enlighten me on that.

Nicholas