[cvsnt] How to use cvs via FTP or SSH

Nicholas Mongeau JunkLaz at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 16:48:01 GMT 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:02:06 -0500, Nicholas Mongeau
> <JunkLaz at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Are you sure about that? I know you don't need to do much on the server
>>side to run cvs via ssh, and it might very well be possible to do it
>>via ftp and ssh only.
>>

> ftp doesn't even come into this.  ftp is a file transfer protocol,
> totally unsuited to version control.

Heh I know ftp doesnt come into this, except you can maybe use it to
create the directory for the cvsroot... :)

> The OP stated that he couldn't even run cvs on the server, which means
> that there will be no server side code.  cvs can't run that way, it
> needs something on the other end..  :ext: simply starts 'cvs server'
> on the remote machine.
>
> Tony

Hmmm true, although there might be a cvs executable installed on the
server machine(a lot of unix systems have it there by default), and
thus even though cvs server is not running all the time, the :ext:
method would do the trick.

If the cvs binary is not even on the server, then maybe it's still
possible to upload it there and have it load anyway? Just exploring
possibilities here, I have really no idea if that would work.

In any cases, it seems to me there are possibilities to try, and
on most systems what the OP wants is possible.

Nicholas