[cvsnt] Bug with CVSNT, Emacs, and multi-line log messages

Christopher J. Madsen cjm at pobox.com
Mon Jan 27 20:37:56 GMT 2003

I just started using CVSNT, and I've been experiencing a serious bug
with CVSNT 1.11.1.3.68, GNU Emacs 21.2.1, and Windows 2000.

CVS can't seem to accept multi-line log messages when commiting files.
Only the first line of the message appears in the revision history.
Also, it doesn't seem to see any parameters after the message, which
means that it commits all files in the directory, instead of just the
file I wanted to commit.

I added some debugging code to record the parameters to the Emacs
call-process function.  Here's what happens when I type C-x C-q to
check in my changes:

 (call-process "cvs" nil t nil "ci" "-mLine 1\nLine 2\nLine 3\n" "junk.cpp")

But CVSNT acts like it was called like this:

 (call-process "cvs" nil t nil "ci" "-mLine 1")

For comparison, I tried doing the same thing with RCS (which I've been
using for years).  Emacs produced the following call:

(call-process "ci" nil t nil "-j" "-u" "-mLine 1\nLine 2\nLine 3\n" "RCS/junk.cpp")

This works exactly as expected; I get a 3-line log message for
junk.cpp.  So it seems that it's a problem with CVSNT and not Emacs.

Has anybody else noticed this?  Can anything be done about it?
Thanks for your help.

Chris Madsen                                            cjm at pobox.com