[cvsnt] cvsnt build 68 hangs on merge

Torsten van Beeck torsten.van.beeck at ip-team.de
Wed Jan 29 09:32:49 GMT 2003

Hello!

I have a problem after updating from 57j to 68: merging just hangs.

My scenario: w2k workstation, sp3, cvsnt build 68, server & client on
same machine, sspi protocol.

I checked out two sandboxes with the same user to different directories
(one directory has the same name as the module, one with a different
name). I changed some file in the first and commit the change. I
changed the same file in the second sandbox and get the correct error
while trying to commit. Then I try to update and update detects a
merging condition: perfectly good. But this merge hangs:
"Merging differences between 1.3 and 1.4 into file.txt" is the last
message.

No more action after this point. The update just hangs and can only be
stopped with ctrl-c. The cvs server process is still running. I can
only kill it by restarting the service.

No difference if using local locks or lockserver.

I have Symantec antivirus corporate edition version 7.x installed, but
disabled it (I stopped the running service) for a second test. I can
not uninstall it due to corporate restrictions.

I used build 57j some time ago and had no problems (even with antivirus
running).

Corporate IT told me, we have a service aggrement with Symantec. So if
we can track down the problem to their software, maybe we can do
something. Tony, if you explain me what to test or do, maybe I can help
in general with this annoying antivirus problems.

What can I do to track down the concrete problem? I have Visual
Studio .NET but I am not a C/C++ expert.

Many thanks.

Bye, Torsten van Beeck

Here are the full messages with -t

cvs -t update
  -> Tracelevel set to 1.  PID is 452
  -> Session ID is 1c43e37997f56c2
  -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sspi:localhost:/ipsrc
  -> Sending file 'file.txt' to server
S -> Checking admin file C:/cvsserver/ipsrc/CVSROOT/admin for user
torsten
cvs server: Updating .
S -> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S -> rename(CVS/Entries.Extra,CVS/Entries.Extra)
S -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Log)
S -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Extra.Log)
cvs server: Updating src
S -> checkout (/ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v, 1.3, , (function))
S -> unlink(.#file.txt.1.3)
S -> copy(file.txt,.#file.txt.1.3)
S -> chmod(file.txt,100666)
RCS file: /ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.3
S -> checkout (/ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v, 1.3, ,
C:\cvsserver\temp\cvs28.tmp
)
retrieving revision 1.4
S -> checkout (/ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v, 1.4, ,
C:\cvsserver\temp\cvs29.tmp
)
Merging differences between 1.3 and 1.4 into file.txt

And the trace:

log.in:

Valid-responses ok error Valid-requests Checked-in New-entry Checksum
Copy-file Updated Created Update-existing Merged Patched Rcs-diff Mode
Mod-time Removed Remove-entry Set-static-directory Clear-static-
directory Set-sticky Clear-sticky Template Notified Module-expansion
Wrapper-rcsOption EntriesExtra M Mbinary E F MT
valid-requests
UseUnchanged
Root /ipsrc
Global_option -t
Case
Utf8
read-cvsrc
Argument -u
Argument --
Directory .
/ipsrc/ip-work
Questionable log.in
Questionable log.out
Directory src
/ipsrc/ip-work/src
Entry /file.txt/1.3///
EntryExtra /file.txt///
Modified file.txt
u=rw,g=rw,o=rw
89
one line
second line (changed)
another line
more lines
more lines
more lines
some change
Directory .
/ipsrc/ip-work
update

log.out:

Valid-requests Root Valid-responses valid-requests Repository Directory
Max-dotdot Static-directory Sticky Entry EntryExtra Kopt Checkin-time
Modified Is-modified UseUnchanged Unchanged Notify Questionable Case
Utf8 Argument Argumentx Global_option Gzip-stream wrapper-sendme-
rcsOptions Set expand-modules ci co chown setowner setperm chacl setacl
listperm lsacl setpass passwd update diff log rlog add remove update-
patches gzip-file-contents status ls rdiff tag rtag import admin export
history release watch-on watch-off watch-add watch-remove watchers
editors init annotate rannotate noop version Rootless-stream-
modification Kerberos-encrypt Gssapi-encrypt Protocol-encrypt Gssapi-
authenticate Protocol-authenticate read-cvsrc Error-If-Reader
ok
end-cvsrc
M ? log.in
M ? log.out
E S -> Checking admin file C:/cvsserver/ipsrc/CVSROOT/admin for user
torsten
E cvs server: Updating .
E S -> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
E S -> rename(CVS/Entries.Extra,CVS/Entries.Extra)
E S -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Log)
E S -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Extra.Log)
E cvs server: Updating src
E S -> checkout (/ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v, 1.3, , (function))
E S -> unlink(.#file.txt.1.3)
E S -> copy(file.txt,.#file.txt.1.3)
E S -> chmod(file.txt,100666)
M RCS file: /ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v
M retrieving revision 1.3
E S -> checkout (/ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v, 1.3, ,
C:\cvsserver\temp\cvs2D.tmp)
M retrieving revision 1.4
E S -> checkout (/ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v, 1.4, ,
C:\cvsserver\temp\cvs2E.tmp)
M Merging differences between 1.3 and 1.4 into file.txt

--
o __    innovativ partner
I l_)   office at ip-team.de
  l     www.ip-team.de