[cvsnt] Re: Porting over Module from Linux to CvsNT

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Jul 1 23:00:56 BST 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:32:34 +0000 (UTC), karel.chaloupka at lmco.com
(Karel Chaloupka) wrote:

>I'm trying to import a module that was zipped up from a Linux box into
>cvsNT via WinCVS. During the import filter I get sever ERRORS. The message
>states that several files have escape characters in them and there are
>alot of files listed. Is this possible what I'm trying to do? I need to
>get this respository off of this LINUX box. I can just checkout the files
>and create a new module using WinCVS, but then I'll loose all of my
>previous versions... Can anyone suggest something.

First: forget about WinCvs!!!
Managing the server is not what WinCvs is designed for, it is a client
GUI frontend, nothing more. You must do all of this from the console
of the CVSNT server.

To move a repository from a Linux machine to CVSNT do as follows:
1. On Linux TAR up the entire directory tree starting from the cvs
repository top. You don't need the CVSROOT directory because the admin
file contents will be different anyway on CVSNT.

2. Move/copy the TAR archive over to the CVSNT server PC.

3. In CVSNT control panel go to the Repositories tab and add a new
repository. Navigate to a suitable place on the CVSNT server where you
want the Linux repo to be located. Let CVSNT initialize the
repository. Stop and Strat the CVS service.

4. Open the TAR file in WinZip and go to the tab
Options/Configuration/Miscellaneous. Make sure to *UNCHECK* the item
'TAR file smart CR/LF conversion'! Failing this will corrupt the
repository!

5. Extract all module folders and files into the newly created CVSNT
repository while preserving the folder structure (Use folder names in
WinZip).

6. Now you are basically done and your Linux repository should be
accessible via the CVSNT server including all past revisions!

You will note that the history is now gone, it is stored inside the
CVSROOT folder, which was not TARed. If you like you can simply copy
this file over from the Linux repository into the CVSNT CVSROOT folder
but it is not essential for CVS operations so it is your call if you
want this. If so you should do this before you start using the
repository, because as soon as you do CVSNT will start building its
own history file.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)