[cvsnt] One Repository or Multiple Repositories

Mitch Davis Mitch.Davis at EXTEL.COM.AU
Fri Jul 4 02:44:38 BST 2003

> We are debating the best approach to setting up our
> repository.  Should we setup a repository for each customer
> that we have and put each of their projects in a separate
> module or should we have one large software repository that
> has a module for each customer?
>
> The administrators thought was to create a repository for
> each customer and place their projects within it.  Reason:

One factor to consider is the scripts in the $CVSROOT/CVSROOT
directory that control operations such as checking in and out.
If you have multiple repositories, you can have a separate set
of scripts for each project, so you can use this to have
distinct policies for each project.

> If something happened to a repository then our down time
> would be limited to one customer and backup recovery would be
> easier by replacing the entire repository from last night's backup.

Be a bit careful here.  Whether it's because of hardware or
user error, rolling back can have consequences.  If for example
I have revision 1.9 of a file and you roll back to 1.8, then
someone adds a 1.9, CVS won't properly handle this, because it
has no good way of knowing that my 1.9 isn't the same as your
1.9.

Hope this helps.

Mitch.

PS: I agree with everything Glen Starrett said.

The information contained in this message and any attachments is
confidential and intended for the named recipient(s). If you have received
this message in error, please contact sender by return e-mail and
destroy the message and any attachments.
Any opinions or undertakings expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority
states them to be the opinions of Extel.