[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jul 15 00:01:39 BST 2003

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Isn't the Subversion project working on this (a database backend for the
> Code Management system)?  I expect that I'll probably be working in CVSNT
> for some time to come, but I would think that such a large change would not
> be done on CVSNT vs. effort put into the newer product.  What are your
> thoughts on the Subversion project relative to CVSNT?  I don't want to
> discount in any way the tremendous effort you have put into CVSNT or the
> value that I see in it, but I'm rather curious on your take of the
> up-and-coming, self-proclaimed "CVS replacement".

AFAIK they're not using SQL or anything, just a different backend.
they're breaking compatibility completely, and I'm not sure I see the
advantages yet...  maybe in a year or two it'll be different.  At the
moment Subversion isn't a CVS replacement... it's an interesting
alternative though & I wish them well.