[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Jul 15 19:23:49 BST 2003

> If you go the SQL way then you have to be careful what engine you
> choose to use. For one thing the setup will be much more involved (I
> know, I have struggled with installing applications driven with MS
> SQLServer-2000 for the past 1-2 years). You have to deal with things
> like SQLServer security updates and logins and what have you....
> I feel such a thing should not be done without some very careful
> consideration.

I agree.  Especially if you are not a SQL shop already and/or are installing
on a machine with an existing SQL Server installation.  Sounds though that
Tony will be keeping it simple with SELECT / UPDATE statements and not
getting too deep, so it should live on most any version of SQL server that
is installed already.

> OTOH:
> With such a system there will be no way people would even consider
> accessing the raw repository other than through the cvs service. :-)

Are you NUTS?  I would be ALL OVER IT.  Putting it into the database would
enable me to get in deep with the data elements and not have to worry about
parsing out the RCS format (I'm not a PERL person, but I AM a database
person).

Glen Starrett