[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jul 16 11:10:10 BST 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:12:51 -0700, "Glen Starrett" <grstarrett at cox.net>
wrote:

>IMHO CVS's biggest shortcoming is the branching / merging support.  Maybe
>it's just my lack of experience with it, but the required precision with
>which you have to execute branching and merging seems excessive.  Branch
>here, but make sure you tag it.  Now merge into trunk, but make sure you
>either stop using that branch or tag again because now you can end up
>merging the same changes twice if you aren't careful.  I likely just need
>some practice with it to feel more comfortable, but IMHO it could be done a
>lot better.

There's no requirement to tag before branching.  Mergepoint processing did
away with the problem of merging changes twice months ago - we maintain two
separate code branches and merge between them... they've been separate for
nearly 3 months now, which would have been impractical without mergepoints
(you still get odd merges sometimes, but when the source code differes wildly
that's not really a solvable problem).