[cvsnt] pserver not working

Lawson.Reed Reed.Lawson at IGT.com
Thu Jul 17 01:47:33 BST 2003

I am using Win2003 as well with sspi. very few problems so far.
Just that one about cmd.exe execute permissions I posted a short
while ago which is resolved. I have only Win32 clients so, sorry
I won't be much help there. I was using pserver for the test server
on Win2000. No problems there and no worries about security because
this is all internal. However, I did see a few things in your initial
email that I could comment on, so read on if you are still interested...

So, I suggest you use that. :-)

> First, the manual says to use ntserver to set the password
> for the very
> first user. When I try
>      set cvsroot=:ntserver:<computer name>:/main
> and then
>     cvs passwd -a swarnick
> cvs reports that "the ntserver access method is not installed on this
> system".

You probably did not have the "Named Pipe (ntserver) protocol" check
box checked when you got to the "Select Componets" install dialog
when you first installed CVSNT.

> It says this even though I check ntserver on the advanced tab of the
> service configuration dialog box.

But it won't work without that "ntserver_protocol.dll" file (not sure
of the name because I did not install it).

> cvs login swarnick
> CVS password:************
> Fatal error, aborting
> cvs [logon aborted] Impersonation failed - configuration
> error. Contact
> your system administrator.

Ah! While snooping around trying to find my other "cmd.exe"
problem, I saw a Security "Policy", as they call it, in the Windows
2003 "computer manager" that allows you to disable Impersonation.
Maybe that is disabled on your machine. I know 2003 is pretty
locked down when you first install it.

I don't know if any of this helps.

Hope you solve the problem(s).
- Reed.