[cvsnt] The same module in two repositories

Starrett, Glen (AZ15) glen.starrett at honeywell.com
Fri Jul 18 19:11:23 BST 2003

> I have checked out a module to my working directory on my machine and
> usually I work at this machine.
> But sometimes I need to change to another computer without having
> commited my changes (because it's unfinished and does not
> even compile),
> so my idea is to commit the module to a local repository and
> to check it
> out at the other machine again.

You probably want branching.  The idea of branching is that it allows one
developer to work in their own environment separate from the main trunk so
their interim changes aren't affecting other developers.

I believe Devguy's had a good explanation of what, why, and when branching
is used.

http://www.devguy.com/fp/ProgrammersCanvas/index.html#Work_in_Private_Sandbo
xes

There's also The CVS Book.