[cvsnt] CVSNT 2.0.6 fails in a batch file

Paul Russell paul_newsgroups at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 23 00:51:07 BST 2003

George,

Do only one command that writes to the log. Define an Alias in your modules file that includes all the modules you want, then update that alias instead of each individual module.

  In CVSROOT\modules
       Mirror_Group -a Miranda-IM Plugins Protocols SDK Tools
  Then in your batch file
       %CVS_EXE% update -P Mirror_Group >report.txt

If your mirror contains only folders to be updated, then simply call update on the whole mirror.
  cvs -d %CVSROOT_CHECKOUT% update -RPd >> %LOG_FILE%

You can also setup the batch file to check if folders in the mirror already exist, and if not then to do a checkout of the alias (module group). This allows you to delete the mirror to get a fresh checkout, removing modules no longer in your alias module list.

-Paul R.

George Hazan <*ghazan at voxnet.ru> wrote:
Hi.

I use a batch file to update the source tree mirror on the regular basis. It
calls cvs.exe several times and redirects its output to the report file. The
problem is that CVS runs Ok only on the first time, all another runs fail
with the error "file report.txt is locked by another process".

Below is the brief review of that batch file:
========= 8< ========== >8 ==============
set CVSROOT=:ext:ghazan at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/miranda-icq
set CVS_EXE=c:\util\cvs.exe
set CVS_RSH=c:\util\putty\plink.exe

%CVS_EXE% update -P Miranda-IM >report.txt
%CVS_EXE% update -P Plugins >>report.txt
%CVS_EXE% update -P Protocols >>report.txt
%CVS_EXE% update -P SDK >>report.txt
%CVS_EXE% update -P Tools >>report.txt

The problem disappears if I insert 'sleep 1' command after each call of
CVS.EXE, but I cannot call this order of things normal.

I'm using CVSNT 2.0.6 under WinXP Prof Eng SP1 + all postfixes, NTFS
partition.

--
WMBR, George Hazan (ghazan at voxnet.ru)