[cvsnt] Ampersand modules and tags

Ian Epperson Ian at axiomdesign.com
Mon Jun 2 19:07:43 BST 2003

Having read up a bit on ampersand modules, I'm looking at how we may use
them here.

Is it possible to define a specify a tag for an ampersand module?

Background:  We have many includes that are developed independently of the
actual clients' programs.  Currently, we copy the includes into the clients'
module for use.  That way, we know the include wont change unless we re-copy
the file.  Unfortunately, field changes to the include seldom get back into
the include modules.

Ideally, we'd refer to specific versions of the include via tags
(ampertag?), and changing the "ampertag" and updating would bring a
different version of the include.  If a developer needed to update an
include, they move the tag to HEAD, verify their changes aren't addressed,
make a change, test, tag, update the "ampertag".

Someone may suggest to check out the include, tag it normally, then make
sure my compiler looks there for include files.  The problem with this
approach is that I commonly work on many different client files throughout
the week (as do most programmers here), and remembering that ProgA needs
this set of tags, and ProgB needs this other set of tags would quickly
become nightmarish.  I suppose this *might* be mitigated by maintaining
identically named tags for each client...

Any suggestions?

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that
cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong
goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

   -Douglas Adams