[cvsnt] Ampersand modules and tags

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jun 4 20:56:53 BST 2003

Ian Epperson wrote:

> So, a follow on question:  Does the server follow Windows soft link (.lnk)
> files?  Can I put a soft link in a module on the server and have the file
> appear to be in more than one module?

Nothing does, except explorer - they're not soft links at all they're just
text files with the filename in them.  It's misleading for MS to call them
links really.

> The better way to do this may be with hard links.  However IIRC during a
> commit, CVSNT copies the file, and eventually deletes the original -
> probably removing any other hardlinked connection.  Correct?

You don't want links of any sort in the repository otherwise things start
getting complex (there's a reason why it's disabled in the unix code... too
many subtle bugs).