[cvsnt] Problem retrieving doc files

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Jun 10 09:54:41 BST 2003

WinCvs version
If you don't use the latest version then please download and install.
There has been an update options tab on the dialogue that comes up
when you click the update button for a long time now.
Help/About in my WinCvs shows version as 1.3.13.1 Beta 13 (Build 1)

CVS version
Using the command cvs ver (from WinCvs inside a sandbox) shows something
like this:
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.0 (client/server)
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.2 (client/server)

Typing cvs --v on the command window in a non-cvs folder:
C:\>cvs --v

Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Daily Snapshot Build 57l) (client/server)

As you can see in my case the command window uses a different version of CVS than
WinCvs. This is because in WinCvs the CVS.exe to use is defined, but on the command line
it comes from the path setting.

CVSNT
If you get versions like 1.11 or something similar then you should go to
www.cvsnt.org and download the latest 2.0 setup and install it.

Update operation
What cvs update should do is to replace the file already in your sandbox with the
one from the server. This is normal.
But if it detects that the file has been edited by you, then it automatically renames the
edited file to something like: .#.originalfilename.doc.1.3  (where 1.3 is the revision your
edits started out from).
So your edited  data are saved in a renamed file and the working file will hold the old revision.

/Bo