[cvsnt] Re: loginfo bug ?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Jun 23 21:36:26 BST 2003

I think that the commands given on the script lines are actually not
passed "as is" to cmd.exe. Instead CVS itself seems to parse out the
data and in doing so it does not make use of the double quotes as
cmd.exe does.
End result is:
You cannot have extra spaces in either the command program itself or
in the arguments.
Maybe it will (or has) changed but when I coded my CVSMailer program I
found this out the hard way....

/Bo

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:47:58 -0700, "Terris Linenbach"
<noreply at nowhere.nwh> wrote:

>I'm totally confused about what happens when there are no quotes around
>"%{sVv}"
>
>It doesn't work with my scripts although & doesn't confuse it.
>
>Back to the drawing board...
>
>"Russell Yanofsky" <rey4 at columbia.edu> wrote in message
>news:bd5ufb$p6j$1 at sisko.nodomain.org...
>> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>> > Terris Linenbach wrote:
>> >
>> > DEFAULT dgloginfohtmlnntpemail "%{sVv}" "$USER"

>> > Try putting multiple sets of double quotes...
>> >
>> > cmd.exe is buggy, unfortunately, and doesn't handle escaped files
>> > properly. With 2.1.x I'll probably get the chance to change the
>> > syntax to make it possible to do that kind of stuff... that doesn't
>> > help you now though.
>> >
>> > Tony
>>
>> cmd.exe handles quotes in a weird way, but i don't think it's buggy.
>>
>> when you say CreateProcess("cmd /c ...") it executes the string after the
>/c as
>> exactly as if it were typed into the command prompt window. The only
>exception
>> is that if the first character is a double quote then it and the very last
>> double quote character are stripped and the resulting string is run
>instead.
>> This is described in the cmd.exe docs that print when you run "cmd /?"
>>
>> Anyway, Terris's example actually works for me when I leave the quotes off
>of
>> %{sVv} since cvsnt  adds its own.
>>
>> - Russ

/Bo