[cvsnt] Latest on Virus Scan?

Lawson.Reed Reed.Lawson at IGT.com
Mon Jun 30 20:17:24 BST 2003

The test results are in. Here is a summery:

Test Setup:
	Server: 1.5G PIII running Windows 2003 server
              CVSNT 2.0.5
              McAfee VirusScan v4.5.1 SP1 enabled

      Client: various but typically
              Windows XP or Windows 2000
              CVSNT 2.0.5
              McAfee VirusScan v4.5.1 SP1 (one machine had this disabled)
              Perl 5.6.1

The Test:
  A perl script that repeated the following over and over:
    o add one line to a file (the date and time)
    o commit that change
    o update in a separate directory
    o compare the files

If anything at all went wrong, the script would stop right there and display
the error.
I ran 27 instances of the test spread over 5 machines over the weekend.

Results:
   o Out of 369,371 total cycles, 17 operations failed and 2 of those did
not involve CVS.
     So, that is a cvs failure rate of 0.004%.
   o Of the 17 failed operations, all of them worked on the next try.
   o In all of this, there was no data loss or corruption.

I call that good news.

Also interesting to note:

    o All 15 cvs failures were due to share violations when
      trying to rename a file. Sounds to me like some other
      program had the file open. Probably the AV software.
    o 8 of the 15 cvs failures were server side and 7 were client side.
    o 10 of the 15 cvs failures occurred near midnight: 1 just before and 9
just after.
    o All 8 of the server side failures were near midnight.
    o Both of my machines were running 12 tests each.
        o Machine A had 5 failures to machine B's 9.
        o Machine A was not running AV. B was running AV.
        o Only one of the 5 failures on A were client side.
        o On B, 6 of the 9 failures were client side.

If any one is interested, I can share more details.
Thanks,
Reed Lawson
IGT Firmware Engineering
(775) 448-0755