[cvsnt] Re: Failed to import the same module twice with different release tag

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Mar 1 07:51:49 GMT 2003

This behaviour is confirmed, works the same way when I test. I have
WinCvs 1.3.12 and CVSNT b72. Just to check I upgraded the server to
b73, but it did the same thing...

It *might* be caused by the fact that the sources are identical.
Normally CVS operates on the diffs between commits. In this case you
are trying to import the exact same source files on top of already
existing sources which means that the diffs result in NIL and I don't
think CVS will store anything in such a case. However, the error
message is a bit misleading to the user...

But I don't use import in any case so I cannot tell you if this is the
expected behaviour or not. The only ever use I have had for Import was
early in my CVS usage days when I started a new module with the import
command. But since this leads to the unwanted root branch 1.1.1.1 I
stopped doing this and instead I just cvs add my new stuff.
And I am not tracking any 3rd party sources (which is what cvs import
is designed for).

This might actually be a recent "bugfix" to the import command where
it will not overwrite existing files in the repo. This was earlier a
problem which caused me some difficulties too. In thta case import
just happily overwrote existing module files in the repository if the
wrong import name was given....
But on the other hand according to original usage you should be able
to import the "tracked" 3rd party source several times when you get
new versions from the supplier, or are you supposed to then check out
the vendor branch and just commit new edits in the normal way? Anyoune
knows this?

/Bo

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:55:25 +0800, "zhuyunchuan" <zhuyunchuan at 263.net>
wrote:

>I want to import a module to the repository, use the following command:
>     cvs import ARQ zhuyunchuan rel_100
>  and succeed.
>  The next time I want to import the same module with another revision
>     cvs import ARQ zhuyunchuan rel_101
>  but fail and get the following message:
>    cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file d:/cvstest/ARQ/,ARQ.dsw, to
>d:/cvstest/ARQ/ARQ.dsw,v: Permission denied
>    cvs [import aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
>any)
>  The configuration of mine is:
>    Server: Win2000 Advanced Server + CVSNT 1.11.1.3(73)
>    Client: wincvs1.3beta12
>  I can execute other commands, such as commit, update...
>
>  Thanks to your help!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)