[cvsnt] Re: NAV vs. CVSNT

Lionello Lunesu lionello.lunesu at crystalinter.remove.com
Mon Mar 3 10:28:04 GMT 2003

> I have set up the "file exclusions" on my server to exclude my
repositories
> and temp directory for CVS.  I don't know now if I am treading on thin ice
> tempting the bug or if I've actually found a reasonable way around it.
>
> Does anyone know if this will work or not?  I have regular file shares on
> the server as well as the CVS repositories and don't really want to depend
> on the clients to keep themselves clean.

Don't count on it :-S
I did the same thing and still got the errors (corrupted rcs files).
I think NAV still hooks on to every file access, and only checks the
exclusion inside the hook... Also, excluding .cpp/.h etc. didn't keep files
from being deleted occasionally when saving inside Visual Studio.. (try to
press CTRL-S many times, if you get "could not save file"-errors chances are
that the file extually was deleted instead of saved :-S )....

The best thing is to disable this real-time NAV completely, and setup some
nightly old-school scan instead..

L.