[cvsnt] Re: Files considered different just because of keyword expansion diffs

Gary Newman REMOVE_THIS_NOSPAMgnewman at belarc.com
Mon Mar 10 22:33:12 GMT 2003

Hi Tony,

Perhaps I'm just used to the RCS approach which ignores differences in keyword
expansion, but here's the problem I'm having...

I have some source trees that aren't under cvs that I'd like to "build" a cvs
revision history for from a set of separate directories for each release.  So I
add/commit a lot of new files to the repository with the $Id$ line in it from release
1 of the code.  The working copy shows it expanded in all of them.  Then I drop on
the sources for release 2 of the code.  If it weren't for the $Id$ expansion, the
following commit would only show as modified those sources that really ARE modified
in their source body.  Instead, cvs shows all files as changed from the previous
release.  I'd like ot have it act like RCS and not consider the keyword expansion in
the comparison.  Any idea of how to do that?

    -Gary-