[cvsnt] Workflow advice saught

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Mar 18 21:44:02 GMT 2003

Drew McLellan wrote:

>> This assumes that you actually need to view the different "sites" as
>> independent.  Can the live as sub-folders on the local web server for
>> developing purposes?
>

> They need to be different sites with different subdomains. To complex to
> explain why, but take it as read.

You _can_ maintain the different domain names in a HOSTS file on the server (and
a copy on each developer's machine), which will have the correct effect of
allowing you to set up multiple virtual sites.  NT/W2k will check the HOSTS file
before attempting to use DNS to resolve a name, so you can fake out the server
quite nicely this way.  I just manage our own DNS, so it is easier for me to add
an A record when I need one.

The advanced model is even more interesting: if you have SSL sites, you must
have a seperate IP address for each certificate (even if you are minting your
own test certs).  The way I have done this is load the MicroSoft loopback
adaptor and assigning multiple IP address to that adaptor (like 172.16.0.1-255).
  Then I add a forced route to my primary router that sends all packets for that
netblock to the "real" ip address of that host (e.g. 192.168.1.1).  This way you
can use a single actual IP address on your network, and yet have multiple IP
addresses available for SSL certs.

John