[cvsnt] Re: [Solved] Rlog problem with CVSNT, ViewCVS

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Mar 19 08:33:01 GMT 2003

Mitch Davis wrote:

> We have 40-odd users here, all with a space in their username.
> In general, having a space in the username has given us little
> trouble on Linux, with the exception (ironically) of the RCS
> utilities such as rlog, rcsdiff etc.

I'm working on RCS wrappers for CVSNT (RCSNT if you like) that'll
allow these kinds of things...  it'll be needed anyway once binary
diffs go in.  That'll solve the ViewCVS etc. problem hopefully
permanently.

> On Unix, it's common to construct a home directory from the
> username, and this is where we had endless trouble, usually
> with shell scripts that don't properly quote directory names.
> The Red Hat login scripts for example.

Have you filed a bug report with RH?  I'd expect it to work..  Debian
seems OK except 'adduser' refuses to add them, you have to do it manually.

> Still, it took a lot of work to get putty, plink, cvsnt,
> tortoisecvs and the Unix-side things to work properly with
> spaces.  Life would be easier without spaces in usernames!

True!