[cvsnt] mfc70u.dll required in install

macpherson rmacpherson at verilet.com
Wed Mar 19 18:06:00 GMT 2003

There is an installation guide that claims to exist as a result of a barrage
of complaints and you have to wonder about the quality if it takes a storm
of comments just to get the install tested and documented. Once you find
this missing DLL can then follow the installation guide which is NFG to put
it politely. It's full of noise and missing critical steps: e.g, there is no
way you can create a repository until you add your CVS install directory to
the path. There is a checkbox that shows up on the information page about
anti-virus but no text next to it? Now I understand why so many steer people
away from this version of CVS. I don't think pathetic is too strong a word
given we are now well into 2003.

On the other hand it would not be fair assume it's all that different given
the common code base and I am sure it works fine. They need to make the
first time experience a positive one with a little regression testing and
proper documentation. Still, think we will wipe out our 2000 box and put
Linux on it and use something that works out of the box. Had no trouble
installing CVS on Linux at all.