[cvsnt] Re: Thoughts on version numbering

Gates, Donald T DONALD.T.GATES at saic.com
Thu Mar 20 20:18:40 GMT 2003

My customer (a branch of the U.S. Navy) has mandated the use of a four (4)
segment version numbering system that breaks down like this:

Major . Minor . Maintenance . Patch

Major Release Designator Change Criteria:

·	Significant new functional capability
·	A new external system interface
·	A significant change to an existing interface
·	Integration of a major Common Operating Environment (COE) release

(Perhaps this last criterion would be applicable when/if Tony brings in a
major code segment from the main Unix CVS code base.)

Minor Release Designator Change Criteria:

·	A minor functionality enhancement
·	A minor change to an interface

Maintenance & Patch Designator Change Criteria:
·	 Follow local standards for the use of maintenance releases and/or
patches version numbers.

It seems to me that the maintenance designator could be used as Linus
Torvalds uses a portion of his version numbering for Linux kernels. Odd
maintenance numbers could be beta CVSNT releases (e.g. 1.11.5.0) and even
maintenance numbers could be stable CVSNT releases (e.g. 1.11.4.0)

The patch designator could be used as Tony is using the build number now.

Don Gates