[cvsnt] Latest Updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Mar 27 17:13:33 GMT 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:51:57 -0700, "Glen Starrett" <grstarrett at cox.net>
wrote:

>Are you using reverse DNS on ALL hostnames, regardless of protocol?  I
>thought that was only for SSH.  Not all our internal IP addresses are set up
>with DNS names (forward OR reverse), some still use WINS, etc.  It's a bit
>of a mess but it's our networks... and it's an LARGE problem to fix it if we
>have to.

It looks up the remote client when the server starts up, which applies to all
protocols.

WINS should be OK as you can set NT to do Netbios lookups to resolve domain
names - not sure where this setting is on Win2k but on NT4 it's in the network
properties.

As long as *something* responds, then you won't get the delay, just the
numeric IP (with its incumbent non-readability, which currently only affects
the lockserver output - didn't get chance to put it into the history file on
this release).  The problem seems to happen where there's no response at all
from the remote nameserver, and you get a timeout delay.

H:\>nslookup 99.4.168.192.in-addr.arpa
Server:  uk.local.net
Address:  192.168.1.33

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to uk.local.net timed-out

vs.

H:\>nslookup 34.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
Server:  uk.local.net
Address:  192.168.1.33

Name:    34.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa

192.168.1.34 doesn't have a reverse (because it doesn't exist) but the domain
response was instant as there's a server for 192.168.1.x.  In the 192.168.4.x
case there's no reverse domain for it so it fell back on the DNS timeout.