[cvsnt] i want help to lock multiple checkout

Terris Linenbach noreply at nowhere.nwh
Wed May 7 18:32:53 BST 2003

Reply #1

If you want files to be locked, don't use CVS.  There are plenty of other
SCC tools that lock files.

Reply #2

Most text files don't need to be locked.  CVS's decades-old merge algorithm
works in most cases.  Trust me, you will get used to merging and won't ever
merged and therefore need to be locked if they can be modified by different
people at the same time.  You can lock files in CVSNT via the command line
(cvs edit -c), WinCVS, and TortoiseCVS.  Locking files is a manual and
optional activity, which probably isn't what you want; refer to reply #1.
Make sure you "update" files before locking -- it doesn't make any sense to
lock anything except the last revision in a branch, but that's the way it
works.

There is more information here:

http://www.devguy.com/fp/ProgrammersCanvas/#Prefer_Merging_Over_Locking

news:mailman.1165.1051862237.22290.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...