[cvsnt] Re: Final SSL Question =)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu May 8 11:06:37 BST 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 21:12:08 -0400, "Nate" <nath_meyer at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, now that the server is working, I can't get the client to verify the
>server's certificate. As I understand, cvsnt client is verifying the servers
>authenticity, so I have the CA cert and priv key on the client (generated by
>OpenSSL 0.9.7b). On the server, I have the same CA cert (so the client can
>verify). All I get is: Server certificate verification failed (error 18). I
>also tried the default certificate/rsa private key that comes with the
>installation, but that doesn't work either. Hopefully this should be it and
>I'll be on my merry way =)

If you're using a nonstandard CA then you'll have to put it in the ca.pem file
on both the client and server so that it can be verified (the problem with
this setup of course is you have to put it in all clients, which means extra
work).  The ca.pem file goes in the same place as the sserver_protocol.dll
file.

If you're not too worried about verification it's easiest to use a selfsign
certificate, which is what is generated by default on installation (by default
the server will work this way without any extra setup).   Alternatively you
can get a certificate that works with the default CA list from www.cacert.org
(or verisign, etc. if you really want to).

If you're having problems verify the certificate with openssl first.. eg:

openssl verify -purpose sslserver -CAfile ca.pem cvsnt.pem