[cvsnt] Repo/Module setup suggestions and how to use CVS for webdevelopment question?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri May 9 17:13:15 BST 2003

Re: binary files
CVS recognizes a file as being binary if it is added with the binary flag.
After this it will not try to merge. But this leads to the result that if
there are two developers who have say revision 1.12 of this file checked out
and both modify it in different ways then the first developer to check in
his
file will "win", his will be the file in the repository, now at revision
1.13
Now the second developer wants to commit, but CVS won't let him because his
local file is not up to date (you can only commit if you commit from the
latest revision on the server). So now he must first update his sandbox.
And this replaces his 1.12 edited file with the 1.13 file from the
repository.
So now his edits are no longer committable, thus lost....

To prevent this from happening you can use reserved edits which is a kind of
locking mechanism that will tell the second developer already when he starts
his editing that the file is being edited by another developer.

And please don't reply to me in private, the replies should go to the list.
This list will need a "reply all" in order to get the message to the
list....

/Bo