[cvsnt] CVSNT- Request for U.S. Export Information

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue May 13 21:54:15 BST 2003

> sent because someone like me, a worker in the trenches in the US using
> CVSNT, wants to use it for some project outside the US. So they go to
> their boss who says they have to clear it through the "GEAE Software
> License Management Team" before they can proceed. So they fill out some

I'm missing nothing.  CVSNT is not a US piece of software.  It does not need
to be exported from the US to use it.  If someone wants to take it, do
something with it and Re-Export it that isn't my problem - the GPL allows
them to do that - but they are responsible for their own local laws.
<<<<

Don't be too put off by the form letter.  That's just someone asking 100's
of vendors that they don't know for help getting their export documents
straightened out.  There has been increased awareness and enforcement (even
prior to Sept. 11 2001) on the export laws and lack of compliance therewith,
and my company as well as GE are working on coming into compliance.

Yes, it is our problem (a US problem).  The rules are that if we get some
software then want to send it back out of the country (or even to a forigen
national within the country), then we need to make sure it complies with our
export laws.  This is regardless of where we get it from.  If this were a
commercial piece of software, then Tony as the head honcho of Soft Corp of
UK would likely do anything to make sure there weren't any barriers for
multinational corps to use it, but this isn't the case.

I don't mind offering some help to others who need it where I can... and
since I've been through this, I can at least offer some guidance, which I am
(hopefully) doing already.

Regards,

Glen Starrett