[cvsnt] repos back up

Dave anonymous at no.isp
Fri May 16 20:36:19 BST 2003

"Bruce Hill" <bhill at euphonix.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.6.1053107635.1176.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
> It appears that some of the backup scripts recently posted
> do backup to a different folder on the same drive.
> If so, this provides very little protection.
>
> At a minimum, your backup should go to a different physical
> drive.   Even better is to backup to a different machine,
> and ideally to a different location to provide protection
> against fire, flood, etc.
>
> Also, for those setting up CVS repositories.  If CVS seems
> sluggish, it could be your virus protection software.  The
> CVS web site has warnings about CVS operations failing with
> McAfee or Norton virus software, but even with other virus
> software, if you don't disable virus checking in your
> repository it will slow down your CVS operations.
>
> Bruce Hill
> Sr Software Systems Engineer
> Euphonix Inc.
> Digital Audio Systems
> 220 Portage Ave.
> Palo Alto, CA  94306
> ph  (650)846-1177
> fax (650)855-0410
> email bhill at euphonix.com

Well, I had a line in my script that copied the repository to a different
machine, but I had REMarked it out while ago.  So, I simply removed it from
the posting as irrelavant.  The server is backed-up to tape weekly, so I
know the most work that would be lost is one week.  That doesn't count the
working versions of anything on any client machines that may post-date any
recovered data.  The tape backups are so that I can recover from a lost
drive.  The nightly backups are so I can recover from my personal scewups.
I only burn the nightly backups to CD-R as the suspenders to match my belt.
Anyway, knock on wood, my personal screwups out-frequent hard drive failures
10 to 1.

--
Dave
"stirkus ersu venete"