[cvsnt] Working around 4096 bytes command line size limit

Hartmut Honisch hartmut_honisch at web.de
Sun May 18 13:34:21 BST 2003

Tony,

I have patched the cvsgui protocol files to work around the 4096 bytes
command line length limit on NT/2K/XP (it's even shorter on 9x/ME: 256
bytes). When calling CVS via the cvsgui protocol on Win32 platforms, the
parameters for CVS would be passed though a temporary file, and only the
temp file name would be passed to CVS on the command line. I have been
testing the patch for a couple of days now, and I have successfully called
CVSNT from TortoiseCVS with parameters that would have resulted in a command
line over 40k in size - but through the temp file, it seems to work fine.

Do you see any possible issues with that workaround?

If we could integrate this patch into CVSNT, it would make life easier for
us TortoiseCVS developers, because TortoiseCVS would only have to make one
single call to CVSNT, regardless of how long the command line would get,
instead of having to loop through multiple calls.
I also recently had bug reports from users using Win9x who complained that
they could not enter comments longer that about 200 chars because of the
command line length limit.

-Hartmut