[cvsnt] Message to all loged in CVS-Users?

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon May 19 16:58:25 BST 2003

Tobias Schnakenberg wrote:
> How can I send a message to all CVS-Users who are
> actually logged into CVSNT, e.g. when CVS needs
> to stop for a backup?

CVS does not support the concept of "logged in" in the sense you mean; it uses a
connectionless protocol (much like HTTP).  The only time a client process is
attached to the server is during that [relatively] brief period of time where a
update/commit is being performed.

You will probably need to stop the CVSNT service prior to backup, and restart it
after the backup is complete.  The users will receive an error message, but will
not otherwise be aware that anything is going on.  If all of your CVS users are
part of the same NT group (if you are in a domain environment), you can send a
broadcast message before and after the backup.  Those users currently logged
into the network will get the message.

John