[cvsnt] Can't get SSPI to work (2.0.4)

Craig Barkhouse craig at wanware.com
Wed May 21 20:15:00 BST 2003

> I'm guessing what's happening is that sspi_protocol.dll is there, but you're
> missing a system DLL somewhere which it relies on.  Since if system32.dll or
> user32.dll were missing you wouldn't be able to boot, I'm guessing someone's
> deleted your secur32.dll (although I'm still surprised you can boot with that
> missing...).
> Tony

Hm, I don't think I'm missing any DLLs; secur32.dll is there in C:\WINNT\system32.  It's actually quite difficult to delete, as it falls under WFP.

OK, having tried various things over the past few hours, I eventually stumbled upon something that worked, and this will hopefully provide a vital clue.  It works if I use my machine's IP address instead of its hostname.  :(  It also works using 127.0.0.1 or localhost.  That is, of the following four commands, the first three work:

cvs -d:sspi:192.168.1.120:/Home version
cvs -d:sspi:127.0.0.1:/Home version
cvs -d:sspi:localhost:/Home version
cvs -d:sspi:craigb:/Home version

I would prefer to use the last form, of course.  I don't think this is a DNS problem.  I have no problem doing a lookup of 'craigb' or a reverse lookup of '192.168.1.120'.  And remember, pserver and ntserver work fine.  Is there some difference in the way the code in sspi_protocol.dll handles the hostname which might account for this?  I am not familiar with the source code, and I don't have it handy.