[cvsnt] Re: Benefits of CVSNT vs cvs (cyclic) 1.11.x???

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 23 20:50:02 BST 2003

Rick Silton wrote:

> 3. Solves Daylight Savings Time problem (or is it that
> WinCVS 1.3 solves it...?)

That's a client problem (well an OS problem but the client solves it).

> 6. Atomic commit support (but I don't believe this implies
> serialization with checkout & update which I believe is
> the real issue.  This is also not on by default and I get
> the impression it isn't universally endorsed.)

Atomic commits is just one of those things that people kept asking for, so
when someone came up with a working idea I implemented it... I've never
used it beyond the testing stage though because it's annoying (if you're
commiting a large number of changes over a link and the link drops out it's
a pain have to resync the client with the server state rather than just
continue the commit where it left off).

The primary goal of atomicity - avoiding corruption - has always been in
cvs, since the RCS files are handled atomically anyway (I don't see half a
commit as a corruption since nothing is lost... when the server comes back
up the developer just repeats the commit and carries on as if nothing had
happened).

> 7. Separate locking process (I'm not positive of the benefit.)

If the server crashes then you never get stray lock files, which means you
don't need to have an admin log into the server and clean up.