[cvsnt] Problem with post-commit update script off wiki

Samuel Neff sam at serndesign.com
Wed Nov 5 17:40:09 GMT 2003

I'm trying to use the post-commit update script from the wiki.

http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsChapter180?action=highlight&value=postcommit

I modified the $CVSROOT and $LOGFILE at the top of the script and the logs
looked ok so I uncommented the system call at the bottom.

When i commit something the post-commit-copy log gets updated so I know the
script is running.  However, the local copy of the files isn't updated.
It's as if the perl script is run and thinks everything is ok but never
actually executes the cvs update.

The weird thing is if I run the perl script manually through command line,
then it runs fine and it updates the local copy of the files as it should.

Here's the logs:

Using Ver: 1.69
DIR  : E:\WebDocs\Inventory2004\Input
BASE  : E:\WebDocs
PREFIX: E:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004
UPDATE: \Inventory2004\Input
Current time: 11:4
Calling:
start cmd /c "cd /D E:\WebDocs\Inventory2004\Input && cvs.exe -d
:local:e:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004 update -dP"
Using Ver: 1.69
DIR  : E:\WebDocs\Inventory2004\Input
BASE  : E:\WebDocs
PREFIX: E:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004
UPDATE: \Inventory2004\Input
Current time: 11:15
Calling:
start cmd /c "cd /D E:\WebDocs\Inventory2004\Input && cvs.exe -d
:local:e:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004 update -dP"

The first entry is from a real CVS commit and it didn't update anything.
The second entry is from my manual call to the perl script.

Here's my postcommit settings:

^images/*         E:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004\update_dev.pl E:\WebDocs
E:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004
^input/*          E:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004\update_dev.pl E:\WebDocs
E:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004

And Here's the manual call I made:

E:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004>update_dev.pl E:\WebDocs E:\CVSRepo\Inventory2004
\Inventory2004\Input

I'm set up so I have a repository Inventory2004 and two modules, images and
input.  The only thing we could think of was a permissions issue, but we
added the CVS service user's account explicitly to full control over the
target web dirs and sub-dirs and still no updates (and it wrote the temp
file no problem).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam