[cvsnt] How to go backwards in revisions -- easiest way?

Jeff Urlwin jurlwin at esoftmatic.com
Wed Nov 5 17:47:37 GMT 2003

Hi,

This feels like a stupid question, since it seems it should be obvious and
I'll probably say "Doh" when I get the answer, but...

I simply wanted to move back a revision and start again, after making a
mistake.  I knew the revision as of yesterday was good, so I ended up
checking out with a sticky tag on the date.  From there, though, I couldn't
check back in because of the sticky tag.  I received an error message from
the server.

What I ended up doing was copying all the files to another directory,
checking out without the sticky tag (sticky tag reset), copying the files
back in and forcing a check in.  That seems like a hard way to do the work.
I suppose I could have administratively deleted revisions, but that would
have taken a fair amount of time, going through the files changed one by
one.

So, my question is: is there an easier way to 'revert' to an earlier version
to avoid a problem?

Note (if it makes a difference), we have 3 developers and are all working
off the main trunk.  We typically don't setup a development branch unless we
are supporting an older version, while new work is in progress.

Thanks,

Jeff