[cvsnt] Merging branch with identical versions still changes

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Thu Nov 6 23:20:40 GMT 2003

Glen Starrett wrote:

> This is about process rather than capability--I have the developers on my
> team responsible to update their sandbox with code from MAIN just before
> submitting to me for final review and integration with the MAIN line, thus
> the extra hop.  It puts the ball in their lap to get everything working with
> MAIN line revisions before I inspect it.

It still doesn't require them to merge from trunk to branch prior to merging
back from branch to trunk.  They perform the merge from branch to a sandbox they
have moved to trunk.  Until that works 100%, they have to fix it on their
branch.  Once they are satisfied, then _you_ merge from their branch to trunk
and then _you_ can commit to trunk.  Same diff, but without any spurious commits
to the repository.

And as Tony has now confirmed, creating a mergepoint requires a commit, so this
would explain why you are seeing empty changesets.  I still think that if your
process is adjusted to eliminate the additional commits, you won't lose any control.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group